Thursday, January 06, 2005

WARNING:

I saw this and I could not stop laughing at the top three winners. I think I'm going to make little warning labels for everything I own now:

on my pen: "WARNING: This product may leave permanent marks when used."
on my calculator: "CAUTION: This product may not calculate the correct answer if the user types in the wrong numbers."
on my cat: "This product eats stuff. DO NOT leave chicken being thawed for dinner unattended."
on my inbox at work: "CAUTION:Contents may cause boredom, frustration, and drowsiness. Do not use while operating heavy machinery."
on my plates: "May become soiled if you put food on it."
on me: "WARNING: This product WILL mercilessly make fun of you if you say something stupid."

5 comments:

amberance said...

I concur, people are stupid. I think this started when that woman went to McDonald's and bought a coffee, which she held in her lap while driving and, surprise!, burned herself, then successfully sued McDonald's for not telling her the coffee was hot. Ummmm, you ordered COFFEE. Coffee is hot. Duh.

amberance said...

I hate having lawyer friends ;)

Anonymous said...

Well you wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of making someone look stupid.

amberance said...

No no no, it's just that he's SO thorough. It's kind cute actually. That was the longest comment on Earth. I stand very, very thoroughly corrected.

Tara said...

As another lawyer, I would just like to shout out an "AMEN" on the correction of the McDonalds story. That particular restaurant had been WARNED by the county Health Department on several occasions that their coffee was too hot to be safe. The punitive damages ($1m) was the profits that McDonalds makes on coffee every day. In the grand scheme of things, it was a drop in the bucket for ol' Mickey-D's. And while we may question this woman's taste in coffee, I think Eric is right that this is not an example of ridiculous litigation going on in the U.S. (like the recent Fear Factor lawsuit.)